incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Official Name for "Geronimo" Project
Date Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:56:11 GMT
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> All I'm trying to express is that the name is not being used
> in any derogatory sense and that the name Geronimo is being
> used in a positive light.

Tell that to the people protesting sports teams using the name "Braves" or
"Redskins", or anything else having a Native American reference.  Tell that
to the colleges who have changed their mascots under pressure, e.g,
Dartmouth University and St. John University.

Now you may wish to think that the controversy is foolish or even stupid, as
did
http://www.thetowntalk.com/html/6C03C7A6-781C-4F6C-A430-D0EDEF8D9AD6.shtml,
but those who are protesting don't believe that anyone who cannot trace the
family tree back at least 18,000 years on this continent gets a vote.

On a different note, there has been software program called Geronimo:
http://www.apexdatasystems.com/geronimo.html since at least 2002.

My preference would be for a dynamic new name, but we'll see what the
consensus is to the question.

	--- Noel