incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Official Name for "Geronimo" Project
Date Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:35:09 GMT
Apache was named after the Apache tribes -- "a patchy" server was an
afterthought.  We've generally avoided any discussion of the topic
because involvement of a native american "activist" will only result
in trouble for us.  Those people are not Apache -- they don't even have
a clue.  The various tribes that are called Apache (by their enemies)
have more specific names for themselves.  Thus, we don't have any
complaints from the Apache people (only from white folks who think
they know better).

However, Geronimo is a real person.  He has descendants -- relatives
who are very much concerned about abuse of his name.  Moreover, I think
it is unethical to use such a name without permission, and I said so
when the Geronimo name was first suggested.  We have already received
more complaints specifically about the Geronimo name than we ever have
for using Apache, and it hasn't even been released yet.

To a certain extent, we can defend ourselves by how respectfully we use
these names.  However, I'd rather just use a name that is more
suggestive
of technology rather than history.

....Roy