incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Generated sites
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:22:49 GMT
> Why do we need grand site publications schemes? Geronimo is using Maven
> and it's trivial to site:deploy.

Umm, it took three weeks to find someone capable of running site:deploy
for Geronimo.  I think I was the third person who tried (and failed).

I think it would be better to build from CVS, but for that to happen
all of the site publishing groups need to cooperate and produce a
single build script (either on minotaur or some staging machine) and
have the complete set of publishing tools installed on that machine
so that we can regenerate the site.

>  Why is it strictly the duty of
> infrastructure to restore the site in the case of disaster? I'm sure
> someone from a project would gladly work with infrastructure to restore
> their site in case of a problem. Why does there need to be these grand
> schemes for infrastructure and site publication?

Because of grand failures on the part of some projects to do exactly
what you assume above.  Sometimes we get a security-related problem
crop up that requires an immediate posting of information on the
relevant site, and it is truly amazing how often that coincides with
people going on vacation or simply not reading their e-mail.

....Roy