incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@4quarters.com>
Subject Resolution of inconsistencies in CVS
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:27:48 GMT
On Wednesday, November 19, 2003, an inconsistency was noted in the
Geronimo CVS, and thus it was taken offline for examination.  Once all
data was captured and a cursory examination was made, it was determined
that the CVS repository was able to be returned to public access.

The issue was that a jboss package name was noticed in a commit message
but could not be found in the CVS history.  The reference is in the
file Strings.java,  the code snippet :

       public static final String NEWLINE =
org.jboss.util.platform.Constants.LINE_SEPARATOR;

and can be found in this commit :

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=geronimo-
cvs@incubator.apache.org&msgNo=105

This was in the first version of Strings.java imported by Jason Dillon.
  This class was one from a previous project of his, and had been
contributed by him to Jboss as well.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/jboss/jboss-common/src/main/org/
jboss/util/Strings.java?rev=1.1&view=markup

The two files are identical except that there is a compare() method
added to the Geronimo file, and some additional methods related to
making URLs.  These two differences are accounted for in the subsequent
patches to the Jboss version, committed by Jason.  Thus, it appears
that Jason does have the right to re-license this code under the ASL
for Geronimo.

The referenced file, org.jboss.util.platform.Constants,  was also
contributed from by Jason to JBoss, and thus can also be relicensed
under the ASL.

After investigating (thanks for help and input from Noel, Dirk and
others who might want to remain nameless), and a conversation with
Jason, I draw the following conclusions :

1) Jason contributed the code to the Geronimo project and had the right
to do so.
2) He made the mistake of forgetting to change the package name for the
LINE_SEPARATOR constant in Strings.java before he imported the code.
3) Once he noticed the problem, he felt the best course was to simply
remove the ,v file and re-import to reduce the chance of confusion and
questions later. [hah!]

Thus, I believe that we have no problem.  My guess is that if he had
brought up the issue when he first imported, he would have been advised
to do generally the same thing :  remove the ,v, and on the subsequent
import note that this was the a 're-import', so that any future reviews
of the commit stream and CVS history could account for the discrepancy.

Thanks again for all the work contributed by everyone to solve this.
I'm especially sorry that this interfered with the demonstration of the
Pet Store running in Geronimo, but given the uncertainty at the time,
we had no choice.

Onwards to certification!

geir

geir@4quarters.com