incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Official Name for "Geronimo" Project
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 03:12:39 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

>> And how is this not a community decision?
>>
> IMV, the community has decided, and making a different
> decision now would be overruling that decision by the pmc.
> Which is valid, of course, but I don't have to like it :D

+1

Stefano recently used the term bureaucracy to describe aspects of the ASF.

Observations:

1) The incubator PMC is acquiring new PMC members, and will
asymptotically aproach the list of all ASF committers who are involved
in any way with any aspect of growth or regeneration of code bases.  In
short, it will become the epitame of an uber umbrella PMC.

2) I can think of no decision more akin to a bike shed than the naming
of a project.

The inevitable result of these two factors is an interminable discussion
on the naming of a project.

IMHO, the right answer is *not* to buck this up to the incubator PMC, or
to members, or *gasp* to the board.  A much better approach would be:

1) Have the incubator PMC identify a clear set of constraints that apply
to *all* names.  Vote on them, document them, and move on.

2) Identify the PPMC who gets to name this project - and hold them
accountable for their decision.

- Sam Ruby