incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Official Name for "Geronimo" Project
Date Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:35:26 GMT
Aaron Bannert wrote:

>On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 08:53:55PM +0100, Leo Simons wrote:
>

>>Aaron Bannert wrote:
>>
>>>[ -0 ] - Let them keep "Geronimo" as the official name.
>>>[ -0 ] - Punt the decision to members@.
>>>[ -1 ] - Disallow "Geronimo" but allow the committers to come up with any
>>>      other name they want (barring anything inappropriate).
>>>

>You cut out the part that said "chose one of the following". That looks
>like you didn't chose the first two, but are firmly againt the third. :)

exactly! My choice does not fit on the form ;)

>>I don't like multiple-choice votes like this! Further, I think
>>this should be a community decision, not a pmc decision.
>>

>And how is this not a community decision?

IMV, the community has decided, and making a different
decision now would be overruling that decision by the pmc.
Which is valid, of course, but I don't have to like it :D

>>Some other points for your consideration:
>>
>>* The issue was discussed, at length, before, and the end
>>result was that the name was kept.
>>

>And before that discussion happened, it was discussed, at length,
>within the ASF members, and some people decided that it was
>inappropriate.

I was under the impression (though I can't figure out why
from the archives) that the decision reached by the members
was something like "we don't agree, so we don't act".

>That's why we're having this vote, to finally get
>some closure.

Okay, thanks for providing some extra context. big +1 to closure :D

>>* I am sure the board and the majority of the members
>>are already long aware by now that there's a project named
>>"Geronimo" and I think lazy consensus works well there;
>>I certainly don't believe the incubator pmc should request
>>they decide for us.
>>

>Lazy concensus does not mean you get to close off future commentary and
>opinion just because it comes late!

never my intention 8-)

rephrase: with my PMC hat on, I don't think the PMC
needs to make the members aware of anything or ask
them to act, simply because they are already aware, and
are furthermore perfectly capable of making any/all
neccessary decisions themselves (at least I'd hope so :D),

cheers!

- LSD