incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Official Name for "Geronimo" Project
Date Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:53:55 GMT
Aaron Bannert wrote:

>  [ -0 ] - Let them keep "Geronimo" as the official name.
>  [ -0 ] - Punt the decision to members@.
>  [ -1 ] - Disallow "Geronimo" but allow the committers to come up with any
>        other name they want (barring anything inappropriate).

I don't like multiple-choice votes like this! Further, I think
this should be a community decision, not a pmc decision.

Some other points for your consideration:

* The issue was discussed, at length, before, and the end
result was that the name was kept.

* I am sure the board and the majority of the members
are already long aware by now that there's a project named
"Geronimo" and I think lazy consensus works well there;
I certainly don't believe the incubator pmc should request
they decide for us.

* back in september (or so), there was someone who
contacted some indian rights organisation about the name,
and the woman who replied strongly suggested the name
should not be used because it would be offensive to
native americans. Can't find the post right now, but it was
there.

* we could debate controversy, political correctless
and/or programmers on drugs for a long time, but I doubt
that will bring to life new facts above and beyond the
discussion that already took place.

back to my corner!

- LSD