incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Official Name for "Geronimo" Project
Date Sun, 30 Nov 2003 11:45:48 GMT

Aaron Bannert wrote:
> The Geronimo folks are talking about making logos and there seems to
> be a desire to have official signoff on the name. Please vote on one
> of the following choices:

    [X] - Let them keep "Geronimo" as the official name.
    [ ] - Punt the decision to members@.
    [ ] - Disallow "Geronimo" but allow the committers to come up with any
          other name they want (barring anything inappropriate).

I was going to vote to disallow, as it seems that others feel like it
too, but, wait, I thought, this is *my* vote, and heck, it has to say
what *I* feel.

I have personally seen that the Geronimo name has been more liked than
hated, and to me personally it has a good meaning. Giving that name to
something that I believe in and that I want to support, is to me
somewhat honoring the name. Especially when this name has become more an
icon than a reference to the actual holder.

Yes, this is against the common thoughts I read here, but still what I
think.

I also think that "political correctness" has become in these years more
and more ridiculous, even here in Italy. We are not calling things the
names we want to because someone somewhere may feel offended.
Did I want to offend them? Heck, no, so please cut it off.

The Geronimo name has already been used *soo* much, that backing off now
would probably be even worse, as it will IMHO spur a discussion about
this whole thing.

The more we discuss about it, the more the issue becomes bigger and
bigger. Personally, I don't see any issue.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -