incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Generated sites
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:06:20 GMT
Jason van Zyl wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 11:32, Leo Simons wrote:
>

>>Jason volunteered, I volunteered, we were given access easily enough,
>>proposals were accepted easily enough, and then it just took weeks for
>>us to get things in shape. That's got little to do with process or
>>committees, but more with the busy agenda of the volunteers.
>>

>I doubt that.

what exactly do you doubt? That I was given access, that my agenda is
full, or
that there wasn't a committee in the way? Does not compute...(yes, I am
dense)

>>I guess most of the same applies to Jira. We were waiting for a week or
>>two for Noel and Serge to get things in place, now we're waiting for a
>>week or two more for Jeff to finish something I can't remember. IMV,
>>it has got little to do with committees, more with lack of time / lack of
>>volunteers.
>>

>Rigth, as with everything things just mysteriously disappear into a
>blackhole. Why is that?

"In Open Source, many create, few finish." - can't remember who said that.

I don't know. Do you? Maybe we just need an issue tracker.

>>With geronimo, the guys were told several times over the course
>>of several weeks how to generate and get in place their website
>>(which is not rocket science). That's got nothing to do with
>>committees either.
>>

>You mean with Forrest? Or with Maven?

maven of course:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org&msgNo=4475

>>I think you make good points about process (the ASF can be quite
>>slow-moving and more than a little formal in some respects), but
>>somehow my perspective on the examples you provided is quite
>>different...
>>

>What does that mean? That you're willing to wait around and I'm not? I
>don't mind doing some work. I just don't want to be crippled by
>committee.

I am not sure what that means, but certainly not that you're not willing to
wait nor willing to work. I'll be happy to assert you do a lot more work
around the ASF than me, and your patience has also been tested on various
items a lot more than has mine.

I guess all I meant to point out is that I don't feel like I'm being
crippled
by a committee.

cheers!

- LSD