incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Generated sites
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:32:39 GMT
Jason van Zyl wrote:

>I only say at the sheer frustration of watching it take an eon to get a
>Wiki setup and JIRA.

maybe that's because you're watching :D

seriously...some food for thought perhaps...

the wiki is the first bit of ASF infrastructure I'm getting more than
passively involved in.

Jason volunteered, I volunteered, we were given access easily enough,
proposals were accepted easily enough, and then it just took weeks for
us to get things in shape. That's got little to do with process or
committees, but more with the busy agenda of the volunteers.

I think if people with more of a JFDI attitude and more time (and skill)
on their hands had jumped in to do the work, it could've been done
weeks ago. I spiked it yesterday; just wasn't time before.

I guess most of the same applies to Jira. We were waiting for a week or
two for Noel and Serge to get things in place, now we're waiting for a
week or two more for Jeff to finish something I can't remember. IMV,
it has got little to do with committees, more with lack of time / lack of
volunteers.

> And that I will be further frustrated in the fact
>that I can't generate a site because I'm waiting for two committees to
>reach a decisions.

If the Incubator PMC were to say to infrastructure "look, we don't
like this setup and we'll take full responsibility for doing things
otherwise" I doubt there'd be that much of an issue, as long as basic
security policy is followed. Its the choice of the Incubator PMC not
to do so; so any frustration should probably be directed at us :D

With geronimo, the guys were told several times over the course
of several weeks how to generate and get in place their website
(which is not rocket science). That's got nothing to do with
committees either.

I think you make good points about process (the ASF can be quite
slow-moving and more than a little formal in some respects), but
somehow my perspective on the examples you provided is quite
different...

cheers!

- LSD