incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Incubate Apache Repo
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:24:04 GMT

Some weeks ago I have talked about incubating Apache Repo, a project for
an implementation and feedback of/to repository@apache.org. In the
meantime we have contacted others that we thought would be interested,
and updated the proposal.

This is the final proposal I ask the Incubator Project to vote for
incubation.

                            - # -

Proposal for Repo An Incubator Subproject

(0) rationale

To provide simple tooling to users of the Apache Software Repository
(downloaders, publishers, maintainers).

The Apache Software Repository is a mirrored/human browsable repository
that streamlines the distribution of of Apache Software. The repository
is primarily a user access benefit, yet also a marketing (easier
availability) and resource cost saving to Apache. However, without
tooling to automatically download (and verify) software it is unlikely
that security/integrity requirement are being met, especially on
mirrored servers. This proposal is for tooling that automates/combines
the access and integrity checks makes the Apache Software Repository a
much more viable, and secure, solution.

Tooling needs to be both intelligent and ubiquitous, to make it
significantly more appealing than manually downloading with an HTTP
browser. Providing focused yet intelligent capabilities within the
boundaries of repository tooling, within the standard tools (Ant/IDEs?)
ought negate the reason to not use the tooling. Tooling intelligence
might be "get me the latest 'release quality' of X" or "get me the
artifacts that this project depends upon".

Having Repo done under Apache would also ensure that there is a tight
communication between the developers of tooling to
access/manage/maintain a repository, and the Apache Repository Standard:

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ASFRepository

(1) scope of the subproject

Integrated Tools for automating downloading [with security checks],
publishing (new artifacts) and managing the contents of the apache
repository. Additionally tools for manipulating metadata of said artifacts.

Tooling ought be in the form:

     * Command Line Tools
     * Ant Tasks/AntLibs?
     * APIs
     * GUI plugins (e.g. Eclipse)

(2) identify the initial source from which the subproject is to be populated

Technologies merged from the following:

     * [Greebo]
     * [Ruper2]
     * [Version] -- As needed/appropriate
     * [JJar] -- As needed/appropriate

(3) identify the Jakarta resources to be created

(3.1) mailing list(s) repo-dev, repo-cvs

(3.2) CVS repositories jakarta-repo

(3.3) Bugzilla

(4) identify the initial set of committers

     * Adam Jack (ajack@trysybase.com, ajack@apache.org)
     * Anou Manavalan (anou_mana@hotmail.com, anou_mana@apache.org)
     * Markus M. May (mmay@javafreedom.org)
     * Nick Chalko (nick@chalko.com, nickchalko@apache.org)

[Open to others who wish to collaborate]

     * Geir Magnusson Jr.(geirm@optonline.net) -- External Advisor

(5) identify apache sponsoring individual

Nicola Ken Barozzi (nicola@apache.org)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -