incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Add 'practice' PMC structure to projects in incubation
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:59:10 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Committers could be given commit access long before having project
>> member status, and would thus be able to commit but not vote. This
>> makes it possible to keep a high bar for membership of the project but
>> a lower bar for committing.
>>
>> Is this possible/wanted?
>
> I think I don't like it. If you're committing, you're doing the work.
> If you're doing the work, you should have a say in everything that
> concerns your work (meritocracy).

This sets a bar higher for being able to start to commit.

I'm fine with it, as long as commit access/PMC membership is not handed
out like candy.

There are groups here that AFAIK are much faster in giving commit access
than others, so this would take their ways in consideration.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -