incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Add 'practice' PMC structure to projects in incubation
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2003 14:52:31 GMT

Phil Steitz wrote:

> Are you proposing that committers who are not PMC members or "Project
> Committers" should not have voting rights?

On the PMC list it has come out that we were misunderstanding each other
over the term "binding votes".

Let me explain what we said.

Some talked about a vote made by committers (==ones with CVS access) on
an incubating project, and called

  binding votes     == votes by ones with CVS karma
  non-binding votes == votes by lurkers

Then it was replied that only PMC members can cast "binding" votes, and
that these are thus all non-binding.

Why?

Because only the PMC members can make decisions on behalf of the
foundation, and thus are the only ones who's votes are "binding".

So then it was said that it doesn't make sense, because the Incubator
PMC cannot decide knowingly about what committers an incubating project
wants.

So the only way out of this catch22 is that all project committers are
PMC members (and hence the core-group proposal).  :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -