incubator-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject Re: Add 'practice' PMC structure to projects in incubation
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2003 08:56:07 GMT
Roy,

Thankyou.  Read with great interest, and it put a few things into
perspective.  Particularly the fact that to me the Practice PMCs made no
sense from my perspective (based in the XML project's world).  I think I
now understand why.

Couple of things came to mind whilst I was ruminating on the contents.

Firstly - am not so sure that changing the name of PMC to Core Group is
either necessary or sufficient to fix things.  I note that you mention
the codification of the requirements placed on the Core Group into a
universal Apache Guidelines document.  For this I am absolutely +1 - one
of the biggest problems facing the PMCs is a lack of clear understanding
of what is required.  The only way to overcome that problem is to
clearly document requirements.  E-mails going over the issues every 6-12
months 'aint going to cut it.  I suspect if there was a clear set of
guidelines and a board that was brutal about enforcing them then things
might change.

Secondly, given the original intent of the concept of a PMC, I am
curious as to why the board permitted umbrella PMCs such as XML and
Jakarta.  You can change the name of PMC to Core Group, and put strict
guidelines in place, but the spirit what you want is not going to happen
until everyone on a given PMC is on the -dev lists that the PMC is
responsible for.  That sounds fair, but is impractical for the PMCs of
the large, divided projects.

So a possible suggestion.  FWIW.  Maybe a step towards where things need
to be?  (Evolution rather than revolution?)

Can we turn a project such as XML into a federation of projects rather
than one big project?  In terms of infrastructure (web site, mailing
lists, cvs etc.) leave it as it is, with maybe a bunch of volunteers
from each member project helping out with those items.

Each sub-project gets turned into a formal TLP, but not in the sense
that is implied today (where TLP = web site, = mailing lists etc.).
Rather the TLPs simply report to the board, have their own PMCs and are
responsible for the code decisions.  That puts the decision making
requirements back where I think the board wants it to be.  With a small
core group of individuals responsible for each particular code base.

It also helps the Foundation scale as it reduces the requirements placed
on infrastructure@ (new web sites etc.)

As I said - FWIW.

Cheers,
	Berin