incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Approval for Lenya Release
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:23:11 GMT
The discussion on cocoon/incubator PMC lists was about whether the
Incubator PMC rather than the receiving PMC or mentors should vote for
an incubatee release. Nicola suggested that we should discuss this on
general@i.a.o. Pardon me for eventual context loss. Here it goes:

---------------------

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> The Incubator should try to minimize cross-votes, as they have shown
 > in practice to be very confusing and not productive.
 >
> I don't like this Mentor+Lenya+IncubatorPMC double vote either. The
> alternative is to have all Lenya committers on the Incubator PMC, but I
> don't think others are ready to accept it, nor if all the implications
> of it are clear.

... and I know for a fact that some, if not many Lenya peeps are *not*
on any *@incubator.a.o list, perhaps hinting at a lack of interest in a
one-for-all cross-project incubation mailing list, or the centralization
of 'power' in the Incubator PMC (that's my interpretation) - I did hear
some complaints about 'Incubator lists being noisy and not so helpful'
during the Con.

You made a perfectly valid point about the license check around Xopus,
but IMHO, we should require the Lenya peeps to do this themselves, and
try to preserve a sense of trust in the incubation process rather than
having a strict command/control chain.

IMHO, 'any' PMC should be able to sign off a release, even of an
incubatee, perhaps with a 72 hour ACK of the incubator PMC. Apart from
the mentors who are on the Incubator PMC, the Incubator PMC is just not
  involved enough in the process leading to a release candidate in order
to judge whether it can be released. The receiving PMC might be neither
(as my mishap clearly showed), so maybe just a sign-off by the mentors,
possibly backed/vetoed by interested Incubator/receiving PMC peeps,
should be enough as a 'formalization' of the process.

WDYT?

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org