incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Website] Project homepage
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:52:22 GMT
Michael Wechner wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>>
>>> I have stopped reading the Apache Incubator mailing list some time
>>> ago due
>>> to such debates.
>>>
>>> If you think that it is important to create new senseless rules for new
>>> projects - do so. But please do not create new useless work for those
>>> projects which already exist in the Incubator.
>>
>> These rules are not senseless or useless, they come out of *real*
>> issues that we had to deal with. Probably they seem senseless as the
>> issues that have made us come up with them have been discussed on the
>> project mailing list or on the PMC mailing list. This is something
>> that is now changing, and I'm confident that in the future the reasons
>> of these discussions will be more clear to all.
>
> What are rules  are we actually refering to which would apply
> to Lenya? Moving the site to incubator.apache.org/lenya/ ?

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Website

Specifically this point:
"
  * every project has this URL space where to publish the site:

         http://incubator.apache.org/projectname/
"

These are *new* rules, so they do not automatically apply as-is to all
existing projects, as I have explained in other mails.

As Noel explained, it's possible to make deep redirects from existing
URLs to the incubator ones, so links would not break.

For now, just change the project logo with the incubator one
http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/apachelogos/ and decide what
Lenya wants to do.

If Lenya wants to comply with the new rule or simply decide to redirect
from the incubator site to the current one, it's now up to you guys,
both are ok. The first option favors consistency (incubated project
under incubator), the other minimizes change. Your choice :-)

> Anyway, I think it makes sense to dicuss such issues on the
> incubator list.

+1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -