incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Multiple Mentors
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:25:32 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:

> > An important
>
>> aspect here is visibility of status and pending actions.  This takes
>> me back to the discussion about using JIRA - that's the sort of
>> example where I could checkout open-actions on any incubator project
>> - and based on that information I could jump in and help out.
>

> Click on the project you want to help out:
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html
>
> Are these files not so nice? Sure, if someone crafts up nicer status
> files I'll be happy to switch to them.
>
> As for using an issue tracker for this, single projects are free to do
> so, but it's their decision; what I have linked to is the baseline.

Keep in mind that I can see the use of JIRA for an incubation iniative
as something seperate for a projects own use of JIRA for bug tracking.
An incubator view is all about actions facilitating exit (exit bugs).  I
bet that if incubator projects could push up and maintain their top
three open actions - then more people could help out simply because they
can see what a project is asserting at the topics it needs incubation
help on.

Ask the following question:

* what are the top three things for FTP or Directory or Xxxx to move it
towards exit

I could spend an afternoon trying to put the answer together - and I'd
be guessing alot along the way.  Irrespective of the mechanisms used -
providing a way for incubating projects to push actions up to the
incubation community is going address the concern you raised about
sharing the load.

Cheers, Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell