incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Multiple Mentors
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:35:53 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Berin Lautenbach wrote:
>
>> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>>> If the accountable person fails, what can we do? Nothing.
>>

>> Replace them!
>

> Too late, the bad is done. I want to minimize the possibility of it
> happening.

I understand you point  - but I think you focussing on the wrong place.
The single point of accountability is IMO an important criteria -
instead - I think what you should be looking at is the framework within
which that reposibility becomes drop dead easy based on a framework of
support.

As a simple example - the process description establishes a sequence of
events with responsibilities on a project to move itself out of
incubation. The process will involve actions by the Mentors and the PMC
and we don't these actions to be slowing down the works.  An important
aspect here is visibility of status and pending actions.  This takes me
back to the discussion about using JIRA - that's the sort of example
where I could checkout open-actions on any incubator project - and based
on that information I could jump in and help out.  That results is
greater community contribution to the process - less overhead oper
Mentor - etc. etc.  I.e. think more about facilities to enable members
of the community to facilitate the exit of project under incubation.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org