incubator-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject Re: [RT] Multiple Mentors
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:11:32 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Berin Lautenbach wrote:
>
>> Nicola,
>>
>> I suppose the only slight reservation would be who is accountable?
>> The old "Fred Bloggs is looking after that" can kick in.  I think the
>> Incubator PMC also wants to be able to hold people accountable for
>> inubation activities.  Gets harder with multiple people.
>

> If the accountable person fails, what can we do? Nothing.

Replace them!  That's what the board would do to a PMC chair for a PMC
that was not delivering what the board requires.

> Our goal is not to have one person accountable, as we are all
> "accountable" as PMC members, but to have more eyes and hands working on
> it that are also on our PMC.

Yes and no.  (My favourite kind of answer.)

As far as the board is concerned (which is where the PMC reports) -
there *is* an accountable person.  The chair of the PMC.  That doesn't
mean that the entire PMC doesn't get involved in any given issue though.
  As I think Noel said in a later e-mail, this is all a community process.

So - I have no issue at all with having multiple mentors.  Completely
the opposite - I think it's a good thing.  I'm just not sure it's worth
making it overly official.  A single "official" mentor with multiple
helpers?

As I said in the original post - it's only a slight reservation.  I've
just always found that if there is some single person who has official
responsibility for something, it's generally more likely to happen.

Cheers,
	Berin