incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: incubator website is hosed
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:06:49 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> The /www/incubator.apache.org/ directory tree on minotaur contains
> both a checked-out incubator-site *and* the generated output of a
> forrestbot via incubator.  It obviously can't be both.

or can it be?

IIRC, forrestbot just generates the website, then commits changes to
the incubator-site module, which is then checked out again on minotaur.
There is nothing stopping you from generating the website yourself,
committing it yourself, then checking it out yourself on minotaur.

The process, is, in fact, identical to the one most projects that use
anakia follow, except forrest is used instead. And, to make things
easier, there's some cronjob running that handles two stages of the
process automatically.

> Personally, I've had my fill of this kind of crap being left on
> our public infrastructure.  I shouldn't have to wait days to update
> a trivial website.

Indeed. I think by now its been pointed out several times exactly how
to do it. Take a look at

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org&msgId=1102214

> If someone doesn't beat me to it, I am going to
> replace it with Anakia tomorrow.

IMNSHO, bad idea. Rather than force all of the geronimo people
to learn an old tool, its best to invest 15 minutes in learning a new
tool.

The geronimo site is built using maven, which uses anakia under the
covers, but makes things look a lot better. An interesting page might be
http://maven.apache.org/start/anakia.html.

cheers!

- Leo