incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: [Possible Incubation] Apache Repo
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 21:10:58 GMT
On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 03:18:05PM -0500, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > There is a discussion going on over at repository@apache.org about the
> > creation of an Apache jar and artifact repository. The discussion is
> > being constructive and is bringing in people from diverse efforts:
> > Maven, Ruper, Greebo, infrastructure@apache.org, and others.
>
> > * Who would like to Sponsor it? board? pmc@incubator?
>
> An ASF Member (you) can sponsor it.  It doesn't take a PMC, unless that fell
> by the wayside somewhere along the way.
>
> > This is a new kind of incubation that I'd like to try. It's not an
> > established project that wants to come to Apache, rather an effort
> > that wants to try and see if it can work, similar to Geronimo but
> > coming mainly from Apache committers.
>
> It doesn't seem different at all.  There are established codebases outside
> of the ASF, e.g., Ruper and Greebo, existing communities around them, and an
> ASF Member (you) interested in sponsoring them into the Incubator.

Not to mention that Maven is *already* an ASF project. And infrastructure
is a pseudo-project, if you will :-)

I believe the "output" of the project would fall under the auspices of the
infrastructure team. If it "feels big" and/or infrastructure is hinky
about taking it on, *then* we could find a different home.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/