incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jagunet.com>
Subject Re: Add 'practice' PMC structure to projects in incubation
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:45:26 GMT

On Nov 23, 2003, at 10:10 AM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> There is only one thing that would *really* change and that has not
> been done till now.
>
> Committers could be given commit access long before having project
> member status, and would thus be able to commit but not vote. This
> makes it possible to keep a high bar for membership of the project but
> a lower bar for committing.
>
> Is this possible/wanted?

I think the problem here is when:

    1. There is a significant delay between someone becoming a committer
and
       a member
    2. When the committer has no desire to be a member.

The below is just for illustration purposes... it's NOT the way
it is, but is a good way to explain what we mean by "bar for
membership" (or whatever). Say to become a member you need 10
ASF points. My own personal feeling is that the number of
points "required" for committer-ship should be like 7
or maybe even 8. That is, the "higher bar" is for commit
privs, and *that* is a real accomplishment, and a significant
indication of trust, etc... ASF membership is a little
hop from there.