incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Brian. W. Fitzpatrick" <f...@red-bean.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Official Name for "Geronimo" Project
Date Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:08:50 GMT
On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 11:55, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 12:31, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> > "Sander Striker" <striker@apache.org> writes:
> > >
> > > And to clarify: Native American Indian tribe names are inappropiate.
> >
> > Given the name "Apache" .. this is an inconsistent statement. Is this
> > (a new) political correctness thing or some policy?
>
> Bingo.
>
> > I'm obviously not native American, but if I were I'd personally be
> > happy to have a major project like Apache Geronimo be named after him.
> > In fact, it feels rather apropos given the David vs. Goliath scenarios
> > involved!
>
> Geronimo was an Apache was he not? So it definitley seems odd that we
> can name our whole organization after the people of Geronimo but not
> Geronimo himself (yes, I know the name came from "a patchy server, but
> that's not obvious to anyone most of the time).

You're forgetting the etymology of the name "Apache".  It came about
because the original version of httpd was a set of patches to the NCSA
httpd server.  Thus came "A patchy webserver", and consequently
"Apache".

This word is already controversial enough... releasing a product named
"Geronimo" would be the equivalent of pouring jet fuel onto a fire that
we've managed to dampen to a smolder.

Those of you who know me understand that I'm *anything* but politically
correct... my vote here is based on what I think is best for the ASF,
not necessarily what I think is best for me.

-Fitz