incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Common naming accross policy/process/roles
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:10:12 GMT
Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> I've tried to draw a very clear distinction in all my e-mails that there
> is one main document (that I've been calling normative, or the policy)
> only.  Everything else (such as the process document or roles and
> responibilities) is purely as an aid to end users.  Nothing more.

We agree, I know. I just want to tell you that when I read the pages, I
didn't clearly understand this. My effort is in making this crystal clear.

>> Proposal:
>>
>>  - add a HOWTO section
>>  - rename Process_Description to Incubation_HOWTO
>>  - make a HOWTO doc from each paragraph of ROLES_AND_RESPONSIBILITIES
>>
>> Why an I so keen on "HOWTO"? Because HOWTOS are well known to be
>> non-normative.
>
> I must admit, I'm not so keen on making everything a HOWTO - mainly
> because that implies a certain kind of document.

I tend to see the docs as this (just to know we talk about the same
how-to idea):

http://xml.apache.org/forrest/community/howto/v10/howto-v10.html

> If we want to make sure something is non-normative, it's very simple
> (and appropriate) to put a rider paragraph in it stating that where it
> conflicts with the policy, the policy over-rides.  That's a common
> approach and gets over having to worry too much about what names we use.

Ok.

> In particular, I like calling the process description a "Process
> Description" because that is exactly what it is.

Hmmm...

> However - I have absolutely no wish to drag this out.  Given (I think)
> we have a general understanding that there is only one normative
> document, for the rest, whatever the general agreement is in terms of
> names, I'll run with it.

Let me play in CVS and see what I come up with. If it looks better, we
can keep it, else revert and/or seek other ways.

> And as a final thought - I *hate* e-mail for these kinds of things. Give
> me a face-to-face meeting or a teleconference anyday.

It seems to be going fine till now. In any case, if you want to
teleconference, send me a private mail, we can see each other at least
once :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -