incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: projects "in" versus "entering" versus "affiliated with" the incubator
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:34:25 GMT
Rodney Waldhoff wrote:
> On the "Projects Being Incubated" page
> (<http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html>), there are four
> categories listed:
>
> * "Projects in the Incubator" (AltRMI, FtpServer, WSRP4J, JaxMe, Pluto)
>
> * "Projects entering the Incubator" (Apache Geronimo, XMLBeans)
>
> * "Projects affiliated to the Incubator" (Lenya)
>
> * "Projects previously Incubated" (Tapestry)
>
> The latter category is pretty obvious, but can someone clarify the
> difference between projects "in", "entering" or "affiliated to" the
> Incubator?
 > Have those "entering" the incubator not yet been voted upon?

The page is obsolete and does not reflect reality, the distinction is
really not there.

I'm finishing the new website now, please wait a few more days.

In the meantime look here for more fresh info:
http://www.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/incubator-draft-new-site/index.html

These docs are more near to the real incubation process:
http://www.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/incubator-draft-new-site/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html
http://www.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/incubator-draft-new-site/incubation/Process_Description.html
http://www.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/incubator-draft-new-site/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html

> What does it mean that "Lenya is being incubated inside the Cocoon
> project"?  Does this mean that that it is the Cocoon PMC that determines
> when this project is ready to "gradudate"?

It just means that the Cocoon PMC is the Sponsoring Entity and final
destination.

> Also, some projects (AltRMI, FtpServer, Geronimo) are using incubator-*
> modules in CVS, while others (WSRP4J, JaxMe, Pluto, XMLBeans) are using
> their "destination" repositories (xml-*, ws-*, etc.).  Similarly, some
> projects (AltRMI, FtpServer, Pluto, Geronimo) are using
> http://incuabator.apache.org/projects/* as their web point of entry,
> others (WSRP4J, JaxMe, XMLBeans, Lenya) are using their "destination"
> hosts (http://ws.apache.org/*, http://xml.apache.org/*, etc.).  Similarly,
> using their destination hosts.  (Curiously, there doesn't seem to be a
> complete overlap between those projects using one piece of incubator
> infrastructure and those using another.)
>
> How is it determined whether a project uses the incubator-based or
> destination-based infrastructural component?
 >
> Is this by project option?
> By destination PMC option?  By Incubator PMC option?  Some combination of
> these?

The names of the resources are given by the name of the Sponsoring PMC.
In the case of AltRMI, FtpServer, Geronimo there is no sponsoring
destination PMC, so it's the Incubator PMC.

As for other resources, AFAIK each project uses what it wants, if not
against the rules of the eventual destination PMC.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -