incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HEADSUP] New Incubator site in CVS
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2003 06:39:31 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> This is pretty nice looking and better than what I could do in a finite
> amount of time:-)

:-)

> A couple of comments, I apologize that they are somewhat negative.

Hey, if they were only positive they would not be needed ;-)

> -- The material in the left sidebar seems to me to change randomly
> depending on which page I'm on.  The result is that I think the site is
> a disorganized maze.  I don't know how these sidebars are generated,
> but if they were all the same or all the same for a given tab it would
> be much less confusing for me.

This is wierd... I mean, when I click on all the links on teh left
navigation, I always get a page that has the same navigation... wait...
you mean that STATUS pages, right? Yup, that's wrong, gotta fix it :-)
Any other page other than /projects/** that generates wierd navigation?

> --Perhaps this is covered in your request for a better boilerplate
> status template, but I can't discern how the alleged STATUS file is
> intended to relate to the STATUS web page linked to from the
> list-of-projects page.

I agree, it has to be redone.

> My impression from loosely following this list
> is that the STATUS file for a podling is supposed to be plain text

The source is plain text, but Forrest is able to render it as HTML.

Example:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/incubator/site/projects/altrmi.cwiki?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

renders as

http://www.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/incubator-draft-new-site/projects/altrmi.html

> and
> confine itself to noting which of the steps shown in the STATUS web
> page have been passed, which have problems, and which have not yet been
> attempted.

Correct, that's the idea.

> Again, my impression is that any information on the actual
> development state of the project (such as most of the geronimo status
> email) is supposed to be elsewhere, such as on the projects' web site.

Hmmm, well you are correct on saying that this page should contain only
*incubation* status, so the boilerplate page itself must change, but I
still think that adding there the project reports is a good thing
nevertheless.

> If indeed the official cvs STATUS page is supposed to be plain text,
> all the html seems redundant and confusing.

Hmmm... maybe it's just the current page contents.

> If the idea is to render
> an xml status document into html, putting a few "answers" into the html
> would make the intent much clearer.

Ok.

> Many thanks for working to make the incubation process clearer and more
> visible.

And many thanks for helping in making it better :-)

I'll note on this list when a new boilerplate status is ready, so you
can help me on that one later. Thanks.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -