incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: incubation requirements for axion at apache db?
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:43:27 GMT
Rodney Waldhoff wrote:
> The Apache DB bylaws (<http://db.apache.org/management.html>) and
> subproject submission guidelines (<http://db.apache.org/newproject.html>)
> state that a subproject must be approved by a 3/4 majority Apache DB PMC.
> They make no mention of the Apache Incubator project, nor of any specific
> incubation process.
> Pages on the Incubator site (e.g.,
> <http://incubator.apache.org/process.html>), seem to place the incubator
> in a central role in the sub-project adoption process

They are both correct. We are in the process of updating the website and
the process, so I'll outline it briefly here.

The incubation process, WRT responsibilities, is as follows:

1 - Any Apache PMC (project management commitee) or the Apache board
approves the entrance of a project at Apache. They are the Sponsoring
Entity.

2 - The Incubator is from that moment on responsible for the project,
which will remain so till the Incubator votes for it to be "graduated"
to the PMC that asked for it. If the PMC was the Incubator itself or the
board, the project will have its own PMC.

3 - Incubation complete.

> The Axion team would like to understand precisely what the incubation
> requirements and process, if any, is necessary for a move to the Apache DB
> project.

Ok.

So, since you would like to have a place under the DB Project, ask there
to vote for acceptance. After that vote, you will automatically be under
the Incubator, and incubation will take place.

You will then need a Mentor, that has to be an Apache member, that will
be responsible for your project and become part of this PMC for all the
incubation.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -