incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: STATUS file compared/contrasted with an issue tracker
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:22:17 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
 > NKB wrote:
>> I have checked in the incubator CVS a new version of the Incubator
>> site, with a proposed new layout.
>>
>> I am now stuck with exactly this issue, the STATUS files.
>> Could you give me a hand in making a version that can be effectively
>> used for identifying action items in order?
>>
>> We could use a status.xml file that contains information about who
>> does things, todos, and changes. The less nice side is that it's XML.
>
> I don't mind xml, but I am somewhat concerned about placing the STATUS
> information where end-users are expected to look.  A project's detailed
> status within incubator should only be of interest to the developers and
> incubator pmc.

Hmmm, you mean that we should not publish the status files on the
website? If this is the case I disagree, as it's important that on
public docs we are as transparent as possible.

> In particular, I wouldn't want people to feel the need
> to dumb-down or generalize its content for the sake of user documentation,
> as is often done with website content.

I agree on this. In fact that's why I'm trying to come up with a
"standard" status doc, that would reflect only the incubation items, and
link to the project website for more info.

> OTOH, it would be really nice
> to replace the big text checklist with a table-formatted list,

ACK

>  and I'd
> like to reduce the number of redundant directories in the incubator
> module so that people won't have to search all over for relevant bits.

That's the idea, to have a single directory with all the incubator docs.
Have also a 1-1 mapping with the website, so that we know where to look
for and where to change docs.

> BTW, having to dig way down to src/documentation/content/xdocs
> just to get to the top of the website source seems a bit ridiculous.

That's the standard position, as projects usually have lots of other
artifacts. I can change it though, and having felt the same thing, will.

> Why are the site sources in both incubator and incubator-site?

I am moving the incubator stuff in only one place, ie incubator. But
it's a WIP, so I also kept the other site. The new proposed site in in
inbcubator CVS.

BTW, I wrote two mails about it on this list, did you miss them? I mean,
are we still having problems with mails?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -