incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: STATUS file compared/contrasted with an issue tracker
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:02:47 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> I agree with Nicola Ken (and you) about using the STATUS file for project
> status, and had originally thought to suggest that such change requests
> could be entered into the STATUS file, too.

I have checked in the incubator CVS a new version of the Incubator site,
with a proposed new layout.

I am now stuck with exactly this issue, the STATUS files.
Could you give me a hand in making a version that can be effectively
used for identifying action items in order?

We could use a status.xml file that contains information about who does
things, todos, and changes. The less nice side is that it's XML.

> The ASF has different projects doing things differently.  In my opinion, one
> of the interesting things with Incubator is that the Incubator is going to
> bring out those differences, and help to illuminate best practices across
> the ASF, not just for new projects.

True. But some things need to be taken into account nevertheless.

1 - security (authentication, authorization)
2 - history
3 - backups
4 - change messages to the Incubator Project
5 - one place to have all items tracked

CVS gives all of these, and IMHO no issue tracker can easily be made to
do it. In any case, we are not talking about 200 action items, but 20.
And as I said, they are free to *also* use an issue-tracker, as long as
the mentor reports these in CVS in a reasonabe timeframe (ie a couple of

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: