incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Auto-update of incubator site
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2003 08:02:40 GMT
Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> Peoples,
>
> Is there a cron job anywhere that auto-updates the incubator site out of
> CVS?
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/updating_docs.html
>
> doesn't mention one, but at the same time doesn't indicate that you have
> to log into the site to do a "cvs up".
>
> If there isn't - does anyone mind if I set up a cron job to update the
> site from CVS every six hours?

The site can be updated directly from the sources using the Forrestbot
that is now on forrestbot.cocoondev.org

I have heard the complaints from Jason, Roy, KenC, Sam, and others I
lost track of. I agree. The site *must* be easier to update.

Hence this is my proposal which I'll put to action ASAP if there are no
wild complaints:
  1 - install the forrestbot on Apache hardware
  2 - have it regenerate the site from source CVS every day automatically
  3 - change the source format of the files from the DocumentDTD that
      has to be learnt to html or wiki format.

This will make users:

  1 - not necessarily have to install Forrest
  2 - edit files easily
  3 - have automatic updates

If there are *major* reasons why this should not be done, speak now and
bring darn good reasons, as I'm fed up with bickering and want to see
things done.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -