incubator-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject Re: Common naming accross policy/process/roles
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:23:04 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:
> Hi gang,

> Okay, okay, I'm exaggerating. Its real cool there's people
> volunteering to write all this stuff, and the drafts are not
> *that* formal. I'm just suggesting we make it easy for ourselves
> and don't try to write "perfect" and "waterproof" docs. We just
> need "good enough".
>
> back to my corner!

:>.  But I'll bite.  It's because you might be clear, the PMC might be
clear and the board might be clear on what incubation is, but it is
still truly astounding how much argument can be generated *every time* a
project comes into incubation over items that should be simple and easy,
and that everyone has agreed on in the past!

I've also been involved in standard review processes in other lives, and
it also amazing (but understandable) how much bitterness and heat can be
generated by different projects/products following different review
paths.  If we document the requirements as we create them then firstly
it's easier for those on the PMC down the track, and secondly there is
something that everyone can point to and say "this is what was done in
the past".

It's almost due-diligence on behalf of the incubator.  It has been given
a task by the board.  How can it show it is performing that task
adequately in each case if it cannot go back to a normative reference?

Cheers,
	Berin