incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <>
Subject Re: Common naming accross policy/process/roles
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:55:07 GMT
Hi gang,

it's puzzled me how much effort some of us have been putting
in /normative/ documentation of policy, process, roles and
responsibilities. It must be a programmer thing :D

Who needs "normative" documentation? Why?

- the board knows what incubation means
- the incubator PMC knows what incubation means
- many members and committers know what incubation means

there's no need to explain incubation to these people; they
won't read the docs anyway, especially not when they're long
(and normative docs are long).

We need documentation to explain incubation to projects that
are/will be incubated, and we need documentation to explain
it to members and committers who don't know what it means. In
general, these people prefer to read informative docs.

*Normative documentation is only useful in case of a conflict
that cannot be resolved otherwise.*

In all other instances, informative documentation is much more
productive, and much more fun (for most people).

As we can resolve conflicts quite easily by other means (in 99%
of cases, a simple statement by (someone from) the PMC can be
quite effective), we don't normally have any conflicts to start
with (just questions), and we're not building a compiler, we
can thus conclude that normative documentation is not the most

Okay, okay, I'm exaggerating. Its real cool there's people
volunteering to write all this stuff, and the drafts are not
*that* formal. I'm just suggesting we make it easy for ourselves
and don't try to write "perfect" and "waterproof" docs. We just
need "good enough".

back to my corner!

PS: I must be out of my mind, commenting at all on people finally
doing the required work! Tsk! Back to my corner indeed!

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message