incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Disclaimer text for incubated projects
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:43:31 GMT

David Jencks wrote:

> On Saturday, October 4, 2003, at 03:20 AM, Berin Lautenbach wrote:
>
>> == Releases ==
>>
>> As podlings are not yet fully accepted as part of the Apache Software
>> Foundation, any software releases (including code held in publically
>> available CVS) made by Podlings will not be endorsed by the ASF.

>> Podlings in Incubation SHALL NOT perform any releases of software
>> without the explicit approval of the Incubator PMC.
>
> To me, one possible reading of these two statements is that explicit
> approval of the Incubator PMC is required for any change to code held
> in publicly available CVS.  I doubt that is what anyone intends.

What is intended and what happens are two very different things.

Apache is publishing incubator code via CVS. Restrictions above and
beyond that are accademic and simply unnecessary overheads on projects
under incubation.  I would suggest the the incubator PMC address
due-diligence at the appropriate level.  In this context the appropriate
level is the license.

(a) if a new project is importing code it should import it under
    an Incubator variant of ASL 1.1 with appropriate disclaimers
(b) if (a) is not satisfied - then the repository is not available
    to the public - period - simple
(c) let the project publish what it wants providing it is
    consitent with the license

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell