incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: incubation disclaimer and infrastructural reshuffle
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2003 14:41:55 GMT

Leo Simons wrote:

> Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> I would go further. Essentially, a release by a podling would require
>> a vote by the incubator PMC to do so.
>

> a release by *any* project requires its supervising PMC to vote
> it through. Since for podlings, the supervising PMC is by definition
> the incubator PMC, you're not going anywhere spectacular :D
>
> - LSD
>
> Roy wrote recently:
>
>> Ok - going with Apache tradition - its not the PMC that makes the
>> decision of a *release*.
>

> BZZZT. According to the bylaws, the only people authorized to make
> decisions
> on behalf of the ASF (including the decision to release code to the
> general
> public) are officers or the PMC responsible for the project. All other
> votes are to be ignored or considered advisory only, and no I don't care
> how long some of our umbrella projects have been ignoring that fact.
>
> ....Roy

BZZZT, BZZZT, the above statement presumes that "release" and
"publication" are one and the same. The distinction between a vote to
"release" and a vote to "publish" is in my option an import aspect of
active community based decision making. Communities vote to release, and
PMCs demonstrate responsible oversite through control of “publication.
The people who care about the subject make a collective decision to
release something. That decision is not binding on Apache. All it does
is establish a recommendation to a PMC to publish. A PMC can then
endorce (or not) a release recommendation by the community. This
approach reflects a respect for the *decisions* of the community while
delivering the appropriate due-diligence by the responsible PMC.

Stephen.

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org