incubator-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject Re: Disclaimer text for incubated projects
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2003 10:20:59 GMT
All,

FWIW - the following is the extract (at time of writing) from the draft
Policy document relating to the current discussion.

I am about to move this into the drafts section of the site, so people
can start hacking within CVS.

Cheers,
	Berin

= Podling Constraints =

== Branding ==

Podlings are, by definition, not yet fully accepted as part of the
Apache Software Foundation.  Podling web sites MUST include a clear
disclaimer on their website and in all documentation stating that they
are in incubation.

Podlings SHOULD use the following text for all disclaimers :

<i><project name> is an effort undergoing incubation at the Apache
Software Foundation (ASF), sponsored by the <name of sponsoring entity>.
  Incubation is required of all newly accepted projects until a further
review indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision
making process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other
successful ASF projects. While incubation status is not necessarily a
reflection of the completeness or stability of the code, it does
indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF.</i>

Podlings wishing to use a different disclaimer message MUST have the
disclaimer approved by the Incubator PMC prior to use.

== Releases ==

As podlings are not yet fully accepted as part of the Apache Software
Foundation, any software releases (including code held in publically
available CVS) made by Podlings will not be endorsed by the ASF.

However, as software releases are an important part of any software
project, they are permitted in certain circumstances, as follows.

Podlings in Incubation SHALL NOT perform any releases of software
without the explicit approval of the Incubator PMC.  Such approval SHALL
be given only after the Incubator PMC has followed the process detailed
in (Reference to Charter), and SHALL NOT occur until all source has been
legally transferred to the ASF.

Therefore, should a Podling decide it wishes to perform a release, the
Podling SHALL formally request the Incubator PMC approve such a release.
  The request SHALL have the endorsement of the Mentor.

Should the Incubator PMC, in accordance with (Reference to Charter) vote
to approve the request, the Podling MAY perform the release under the
following constraints :

* the release archive MUST contain the word "incubating" in the
filename; and
* the release archive MUST contain an Incubation disclaimer (as
described in the previous section), clearly visible in the main
documentation or README file.