incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Disclaimer text for incubated projects
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2003 09:49:01 GMT

Sam Ruby wrote:
> Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 19:00:57 -0400
>> "Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Judging from the move we made with james, CVS was easy.  ezmlm a bit
>>> more
>>> involved, but our users seemed to find us easily enough when the list
>>> address changed from james-dev@jakarta.apache.org to
>>> server-dev@james.apache.org.  Moving the web site was easy.
>>
>> I'd like to oppose this. (Sorry)
>
> I'd like us to all step back and take a look at the bigger picture.
>
> Apparently, the root of this is a statement that something about the
> incubation process of Lenya raised hackles.  I suggest that there may be
> multiple root causes for this.
>
> Putting incubator as a part of the name is a form of disclaimer.  One
> that is relatively expensive.  I, too, would rather we explore cheaper
> alternatives before we decided to require this for every project.
>
> It seems to me a disclaimer on the website, perhaps also in the root
> directory of the associated CVS trees, and a process which prevents any
> official "release" to be created by projects in incubation should be
> more than sufficient.

Sorry, but this has not worked.

I knew that many did not want renamings to occur, being touted as
"expensive", so I still stand behind my last proposal (that has been
trimmed here) which seems to me like a possible "compromise":

     1 - the websites are placed in
         incubator.apache.org/projects/subproject
     2 - these projects have as project logo the Incubator Logo
     3 - They all have as a bottom line disclaimer a note that the roject
         is in incubation

Note that point 2 and 3 have not much to do with infrastructure, and
point 1 is not under direct control of this list, as the project members
would still have access to the incubator-site module, as part of the
project.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -