incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Disclaimer text for incubated projects
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2003 09:30:46 GMT
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 19:00:57 -0400
> "Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
>
>>Judging from the move we made with james, CVS was easy.  ezmlm a bit more
>>involved, but our users seemed to find us easily enough when the list
>>address changed from james-dev@jakarta.apache.org to
>>server-dev@james.apache.org.  Moving the web site was easy.
>
> I'd like to oppose this. (Sorry)

I'd like us to all step back and take a look at the bigger picture.

Apparently, the root of this is a statement that something about the
incubation process of Lenya raised hackles.  I suggest that there may be
multiple root causes for this.

Putting incubator as a part of the name is a form of disclaimer.  One
that is relatively expensive.  I, too, would rather we explore cheaper
alternatives before we decided to require this for every project.

It seems to me a disclaimer on the website, perhaps also in the root
directory of the associated CVS trees, and a process which prevents any
official "release" to be created by projects in incubation should be
more than sufficient.

- Sam Ruby