incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Auto-update of incubator site
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2003 09:10:29 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Berin Lautenbach wrote:
>
>> Peoples,
>>
>> Is there a cron job anywhere that auto-updates the incubator site out
>> of CVS?
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/updating_docs.html
>>
>> doesn't mention one, but at the same time doesn't indicate that you
>> have to log into the site to do a "cvs up".
>>
>> If there isn't - does anyone mind if I set up a cron job to update the
>> site from CVS every six hours?
>
> The site can be updated directly from the sources using the Forrestbot
> that is now on forrestbot.cocoondev.org
>
> I have heard the complaints from Jason, Roy, KenC, Sam, and others I
> lost track of. I agree. The site *must* be easier to update.
>
> Hence this is my proposal which I'll put to action ASAP if there are no
> wild complaints:
>  1 - install the forrestbot on Apache hardware
>  2 - have it regenerate the site from source CVS every day automatically
>  3 - change the source format of the files from the DocumentDTD that
>      has to be learnt to html or wiki format.
>
> This will make users:
>
>  1 - not necessarily have to install Forrest
>  2 - edit files easily
>  3 - have automatic updates
>
> If there are *major* reasons why this should not be done, speak now and
> bring darn good reasons, as I'm fed up with bickering and want to see
> things done.

If you can pull that off in short order, fine.  Otherwise, I am quite OK
with that being a long term plan.  Let me be quite clear on what my
needs are:

#1: A clearly documented process on how the site is updated

#2: A mechanism for submitting patches for those who can't be bothered.

Personally, I would recommend that effort be focused on an issue
tracking system.

If people are willing to put forward concrete proposals and put them
forward for a vote, I am quite willing to do my share of the work in
updating the site.

- Sam Ruby