incubator-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject Re: Common naming accross policy/process/roles
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
> From: Jason van Zyl <jvanzyl@maven.org>

> > Champion (was Sponsor) - the Apache Member (or member of a Sponsoring
> > PMC) who champions a new candidate prior to being accepted by a Sponsor.
>
> Who has any idea what this actually means without looking up the
> definition? Why not call it what it is: Member Sponsor.

Because the role is probably more than this.  However am
happy to go with whatever the consensus is (just see me as
the person documenting :>).

> > Sponsor (was Sponsoring Entity) - the PMC or Board that accepts a
> > candidate for incubation.
>
> How about PMC Sponsor, again for the same reason as above.

Because it could be the board.  I think Sponsor works OK,
personally.

> > Mentor (was Shepherd) - the responsible Apache Member who works with a
> > podling to see it through the incubation process.
>
> Are there actually cases where the member sponsoring the new project
> isn't the mentor? I mean, who is going to 'champion' a new project and
> then leave it to someone else to mentor?

Yes there have been cases.  And it's not as obvious as it
seems.  Different skills/desires involved.

Cheers,
    Berin