incubator-general mailing list archives

From Tetsuya Kitahata <tets...@apache.org>
Subject Re: STATUS file compared/contrasted with an issue tracker
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:46:12 GMT

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:39:34 -0400
"Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com> wrote:

> The ASF has different projects doing things differently.  In my
> opinion, one of the interesting things with Incubator is that the
> Incubator is going to bring out those differences, and help to
> illuminate best practices across the ASF, not just for new projects.

Quite agreed. Bravo!

This is exacly what I wanted to express by my `POOR' Eng*r*ish.

Also, I am sure that the point is that those who would relate to the
ASF should get aware of the fact that the different rules
should be applied to differed *gradation* (STATUS?) of each projects.

For example, HTTP Server project is matured enough. There
would be less "new function requirements" than those of all the jakarta
sub-projects. Long History ... and all the committers (nearly equalled
to ASF members) really deserve to be respected by other OSS
communities and members. However, the rule which would be the best
to HTTP Project is not necessarily the best to Jakarta (and Java world).
Jakarta requires "SPEED", on the other hand, HTTP Project requires
"STABILITY" ... Different rules should be applied as a matter of course.
However, there would be also needed "consistency" as projects
under ASF umbrella. (Legal issues, etc.)  Training ourselves to find it
out with our own eyes where exists the diverging point of "diversity"
and "consistency" would be necessary, I suspect.

Understanding "heterogeneousness" as well as "differentials"/"diversities"
and the attitude of the respects to each other would be highly
appreciated in this apache (apatchy!?) community, I am sure, and
sublimation of such heterogeneousness into "evolution" would be ultimate
destination for us. The Incubator Project would be sure to provide
such a "experimental" place for all the developers/committers/members
who DO love apache.org and who DO want to contribute to and get
involved in the societies, opensource communities :-)

Peace,

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

P.S. You may "s/Jakarta/XML/" or "s/Jakarta/WS/" ... ;-)