incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [HEADSUP] New Incubator site in CVS
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2003 00:30:13 GMT
This is pretty nice looking and better than what I could do in a finite
amount of time:-)

A couple of comments, I apologize that they are somewhat negative.

-- The material in the left sidebar seems to me to change randomly
depending on which page I'm on.  The result is that I think the site is
a disorganized maze.  I don't know how these sidebars are generated,
but if they were all the same or all the same for a given tab it would
be much less confusing for me.

--Perhaps this is covered in your request for a better boilerplate
status template, but I can't discern how the alleged STATUS file is
intended to relate to the STATUS web page linked to from the
list-of-projects page.  My impression from loosely following this list
is that the STATUS file for a podling is supposed to be plain text and
confine itself to noting which of the steps shown in the STATUS web
page have been passed, which have problems, and which have not yet been
attempted.  Again, my impression is that any information on the actual
development state of the project (such as most of the geronimo status
email) is supposed to be elsewhere, such as on the projects' web site.
If indeed the official cvs STATUS page is supposed to be plain text,
all the html seems redundant and confusing.  If the idea is to render
an xml status document into html, putting a few "answers" into the html
would make the intent much clearer.

Many thanks for working to make the incubation process clearer and more
visible.

david jencks