incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: incubator, exit and publication
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:10:59 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>At the end of the day we need to address the issue of wht rights the
>>Incubator PMC has to endorce the publication of an artifact generated by
>>a project prior to the exit of said project from the incubator.
>>Publication by a Sponoring Entiry is a different subject - but
>>publication by the Incubator is a loaded question.
>
> no, i don't think it is.  the incubator pmc has complete authority
> over the podlings under its care.

100% agree.

The ASF can legally start and stop projects when it wishes, not only the
Incubator, as long as the bylaws are followed.

This means that, legally speaking, the Incubator can decide to do
releases and then remove a project, as also can be done with other
projects. Nothing is immutable, again legally speaking.

The question is about opportunity and following our mission to make
great, no-hassle-licensed opensource outlive the initial contributors by
being taken care of by a community.

Let me take a step back on the discussion and define how things could be
done to seem more clean:

1 projects ask the incubator to come in
2 the incubator votes positively and it becomes part of the
   Apache Incubator Project
[now the project *is* part of the ASF, but not part of the projects that
the ASF has committed to maintain in the long run]
3 when it's time the Incubator votes for the move of the project
   under another PMC or TL

What confuses all this clean reasoning is the involvment of external
PMCs or the board. So let's rephrase it differently:

1 projects are voted for acceptance in Apache by the board or any
   Apache PMC
2 If the vote is positive it becomes part of the Apache Incubator
   Project, and those that voted it in are the sponsors
[now the project *is* part of the ASF, but not part of the projects that
the ASF has committed to maintain in the long run]
3 when it's time the Incubator votes for the move of the project
   under another PMC or TL

I hope this makes it clear who has responsibility.

- *Any* project at Apache can vote for another project to become part
   of the Incubator PMC.
- The Incubator PMC alone can vote for projects to move to another
   location in the ASF.

Thus Incubating projects are of the Incubator.

The only strangeness is that CVS resources, ML, and site URLs do not
reflect the project belonging to the Incubator, mainly to reduce work in
case of moving thisg around when a succesfull incubation occurs.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -