incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Exit Criteria
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 06:23:36 GMT
Erik Abele wrote:
> ...but the last part about restricting mirror usage seems a bit
> strong to me. IMO the 'Incubatee' should be encouraged and trained to
> use our mirroring system appropriately.

In fact this document, coupled with "at least a couple of releases to
exit", is at least wierd, as Ted has duly noted.

> If the release is clearly marked as being incubated and it's a public
>  release (for a definition see apache.org/dev/mirrors.html), I don't
> see any issues in permitting the podling to use the mirrors.
>
> The only downside of which I can think of at the moment is if
> incubation fails and the project vanishes (?, at least from the ASF),
> the mirrored releases would be kept on archives.apache.org. We'd then
> have to manually remove them or perhaps we could just keep them there
> as a part of our history.

If they can release as incubated projects, I'd say that keeping them as
history is quite logical.

> hmm, I'm wondering if a apache.org/dist/incubator/ directory would do
> any good here?

After some thought, I now tend to favor this and agree with what you
say.   +1

BTW, I still believe that keeping all incubated projects under the
incubator, with @incubator ML and incubator-cvs is the most correct and
consistent thing to do, especially now that with this setting we would
have lenya@cocoon releasing as incubator-lenya... hmmm

             - verba volant, scripta manent -