incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 06:37:48 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 07:48 AM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> <snip>
>> Listen dude, I asked the Ant project myself to move, and got flamed
>> for that. I lobbied some James guys to do the same. I brought the
>> discussion forward on the community mailing list. I took part in the
>> Cocoon project going TL.
>> If there is someone here that has pushed projects top-level, that's me.
> you've persuaded projects of the advantage of going top level. cool. ok,
> you've now decided that you're fed up of persuading people.

I was not fed up of persuaing. I am fed up of persuading the PMC that I
want to persuade... bah!

> i can understand that. it's a thankless task.
> but IMHO this isn't what pushing projects means. pushing projects means
> threatening them with an ultimatum - either find some top level project
> that's willing to accept you or we close your repository and remove your
> commit rights. IMHO it's unfair to expect the jakarta pmc to put this
> kind of pressure on sub-projects. this can only come from the membership
> through the board.

Hey, this is your view, and I have *never* said that. I call that *kick*
out, not push.

>>> i'm sad that you decided to leave rather than take on (at least some of)
>>>  this task.
>> I'm sad that my last proposal for pushing projects top-level did not
>> find approval. I don't know you, but I would not take on a task that
>> others do not agree with.
> it's a pity that you didn't stay around to talk about your proposal or
> put it to the vote.

How much time do I need to wait for it. It was not the first time it was
said, and how could I discuss a proposal that basically got no comment
(one negative actually)? Besides, I don't usually put to vote a proposal
that recieves no positive replies.

> maybe we misunderstood your proposal: if you had
> said "i'll volunteer to help every jakarta sub-project to realize that
> they want their own top level project" then i think the response would
> have been different.

We don't all have the same way of expressing ourselves, and given the
Jakarta projects I had already helped our you would have known.

As I said in my farewell note, I went away from Jakarta only marginally
for this.

The real reason is that having helped the projects I follow go
top-level, almost nothing remained at Jakarta.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: