incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Exit Criteria
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:10:17 GMT
Ted Leung wrote:

> I don't know if we want to tackle this at the same time as Steven's
> document on entering the incubator, but at the moment I"m more focused
> on how to get podlings out of the incubator rather than getting them in.
>
> A while ago I proposed some exit criteria for XML beans -- I haven't
> pushed them because we were waiting to get the CLA situation
> straightened out.   Now that that's done and the code is in CVS, I want
> to revisit these.  I've also added some items that Roy added to the
> XMLBeans STATUS file in the incubator CVS.
>
> There are a few XML beans specific items in this list, but I'd like to
> propose that we start a discussion of exit criteria based on this list.
>
> Legal (these should be done before code comes into the incubator, but
> I'm including them for completeness)
>  All code ASL'ed
>  No non ASL or ASL compatbile dependencies in the code base
>  License grant complate
>  CLAs on file.
>  Check of  project name for trademark issues
>
> Meritocracy / Community
>   Demonstrate an active and diverse development community
>   No single organization supplies more than 50% of the active committers
> (must be at least 3 independent committers)

How do you assess that? Are we sure 50% is not too much? Will it take
too much time?

>   The above implies that new committers are admitted according to ASF
> practices
>   ASF style voting has been adopted and is standard practice
>   Demonstrate ability to tolerate and resolve conflict within the
> community.
>   Release plans are developed and excuted in public by the community.

Yup, this is important. We now have Apache projects that do not follow
this rule sometimes and have to be reminded every time, so it's a good idea.

> (requriment on minimum number of such releases?)

two?

>  Engagement by the
> XMLbeans community with the XML PMC and other ASF sub communities,
> particularly infrastructure@ (this reflects my personal bias that
> projects should pay an infrastructure "tax").
>   Incubator PMC has voted for graduation
>   XML PMC has voted for final acceptance

Not needed. XML PMC already accepted it, we cannot have the case in
which the Incubator says ok, and then the XML one does not. As a sponsor
that has voted for incubation there is no reason why they have to vote
again.

> Alignment / Synergy
>   Replacement of LGPL Piccolo parser with Xerces.
>   Develop synergistic relationship with JaxMe in WS-Commons, also
> perhaps with Axis.

Not necessary.

>   Use of any relevant Jakarta subprojects.

Not necessary.

> Infrastructure
>   project CVS has been created
>   project mailing lists have been created
>   project mailing lists are being archived
>   project bugzilla has been created.
>   project has a subsite of xml.apache.org
>   project complies with ASF mirroring guidlines
>   project is integrated with Gump
>   XMLBeans developers tied into ASF PGP web of trust
>   Releases are PGP signed by a member of the community

Great :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -