incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 06:48:37 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Friday, September 19, 2003, at 07:56 AM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>
>>> I don't doubt it, and the proof ought to be in the ones that have
>>> already
>>> done so.  I do ask if the PMC doing anything to help encourage other
>>> projects to matriculate?
>>

>> Last time I proposed that the Jakarta PMC asks some projects if they
>> wanted to go top-level it did not get a... well... good reception.
>>
>> Jakarta is not a "push" PMC, it tends to work more like "pull"; it
>> does not really encourage projects to go on their own, but will
>> support if they ask for it first.
>
> i think that maybe you're being a little unfair.

I don't think so.

> i (for one) would not feel able to support any vote to push any
> sub-project out of jakarta (though i do think that this would be a good
> thing for more than one sub-project.) i think that any push needs to
> come from a higher level with more moral authority.

Naaa, a post with "why don't you... the reason is that... you decide"
can be sent by anyone.

>> There is a "trick" though in making the projects ask for it: make
>> committers in Jakarta have all blanket CVS access. This way projects
>> that want to keep their "own" community must ask to go top level for it.
>>
>> Dunno how the thing is going now though, I got tired of waiting for
>> some action and left the PMC.
>
> if no one else has the spare energy (and the flame proof boots ;)
> required to encourage sub-projects to move to tlp status and you aren't
> willing to volunteer yourself then no action will be taken.

Listen dude, I asked the Ant project myself to move, and got flamed for
that. I lobbied some James guys to do the same. I brought the discussion
forward on the community mailing list. I took part in the Cocoon project
going TL.

If there is someone here that has pushed projects top-level, that's me.

> i'm sad that
> you decided to leave rather than take on (at least some of) this task.

I'm sad that my last proposal for pushing projects top-level did not
find approval. I don't know you, but I would not take on a task that
others do not agree with.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -