incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Setup Incubator resources for WS jUDDI Project
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 06:39:49 GMT
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:11:45 -0700
> Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 10:59:29AM -0700, Steve Viens wrote:

>>>  Create jUDDI mailing lists and archives:
>>>      juddi-dev@ws.apache.org
>>>      juddi-user@ws.apache.org
>>>      juddi-cvs@ws.apache.org
>
>>What is the size of this project's community? For starting communities,
>>I disagree with the notion of separating the dev and user groups. I
>>think all discussion ought to happen on the dev list, in front of the
>>people who are implementing the code. The devs should not be that out
>>of touch from their users.
>
>>If the community is already large, and the split is necessary, then
>>fine. But the experience on incubated projects has pretty uniformly
>>shown that the split is not justified.
>
> Uuhhmmm. Not sure but I think that it is reasonable to split
> the mailing lists into user/dev/cvs from the beginning.

All "small" projects are much better off with one single mailing list,
where developers and users are more involved together. Split happens
when the traffic becomes two high for both parties.

It's quite easy to add a user mailing list after a couple of weeks of
evident high traffic.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -