incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:33:46 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>That is exactly what I said. It requires a shepherd; someone
>>who is the go-to/go-between.
>
> On that we agree.  The only point of difference appears to be the nature of
> the Shephard.  You seem(ed) to be saying that it had to be a member of the
> Incubator PMC, whereas I'm suggesting that the shephard should be an ASF
> Member, working with the Incubator PMC.
>
> Or did I completely misunderstand your point, and you are only trying to
> figure out which ONE person is intended to be the Shepherd-designate?  If
> so, Nicola Ken fits the various criteria.  Alternatively, I believe that I
> have more of an interest in the project domain, and am also willing.

We have not voted on any definitive resolution about this, but currently
there is an informal rule sprung out of necessity that each incubating
project should have someone from Apache that sponsors and actively works
with the project, and a shepherd from the PMC that oversees and reports
back to the PMC. In some cases it can be the same person, but usually we
would want to have both, as they are two different figures.

The incubator shepherd is someone that has already seen incubating
projects and gives advise based on Incubator experience, and is the
legal bind to the PMC.
The sponsor instead is a more active figure that pushes forward the
issues and solves them. He usually does not usually incubate projects,
and thus refers to the shepherd for extra guidance, and will probably
not incubate other projects. We can say that this person is the one that
is doing th eactual community incubation.

So in the case you are the sponsor, and I can be the shepherd, or anyone
  else on the PMC. You do the actual community incubation, we oversee
and give you a hand.

This makes the incubator into a place where the sponsor can incubate
projects, as it was before, but there is a PMC that can oversee the
process and can ensure that some rules that the Apache must see applied
are done.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -