incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 06:34:44 GMT
> I have a question, which has (IMO) not been answered in the current
> discussion: What is the advantage for me as an Apache user (client,
> whatever you call those mere people like me which are simply
> following from the outside, doing downloads from time to time).

First of all, I hope that no one on any ASF project thinks of users as
"mere" in any sense.

> My personal opinion is that the usability of the Apache Project degrades
> strongly with any new TLP.

> For example, new subprojects, new releases (difficult in the case of
>, btw, which is almost *never* using its own "news"
> page ... :-), the stuff I want to know.

> Coccon got TLP, Ant got TLP. The result is, that I have to watch two
> websites more.  What good is that for? Now I am reading that I
> probably have to do the same for a lot of other projects in the future.
> Shit!

I think that you are raising an orthogonal issue.  You are talking about
wanting to be able to keep up with the ASF more easily and effectively.  I
don't disagree with you, but I don't think that it is any easier to locate
content on one massive web site with tons of large sub-projects.  As we
develop better tools to communicate, perhaps it would help to have RSS feeds
such that you could customize an RSS aggregator to track those feeds that
you care about.

	--- Noel

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: