incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <>
Subject RE: Why top level is good for you [was Re: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project]
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:31:52 GMT

With respect to your comments regarding Community, many of us have never
worked on a code project with one of the other folks here, but we are all
part of a Community; the Apache Community.  I have more in common with some
of the HTTPd developers than with many other Jakarta contributors due to
sharing other Community interests and involvements.  Community is stronger
when based upon common interests than geography.

I wonder how much Jakarta is a Community.  As Craig McClanahan said: ``It's
not clear to me that Jakarta has much "community" itself.''  Henri asks if
the quietness on is due to TLP expansion.  My
suspicion is that it is more due to the fact that the project mailing lists
represent the real core communities, where people are gathered due to common

That's not to take pot-shots at Jakarta.  It is a valuable part of Apache,
and I think that it was more of a core community when it was the refuge of
Apache's Java community.  But the java community has evolved, branched out,
diverged, merged all over Apache.  I think that is incredibly healthy in
many ways.

	--- Noel

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: